The PTA is a recognized group of parents and teachers that work together for the benefit of our school. Your participation is invaluable in helping to provide extra resources at Mary Rieke Elementary. Membership is a very affordable at $15 per person or $25 for two. Memberships from extended family (i.e. grandparents, family friends) is also encouraged. By signing up for an annual membership you are demonstrating your commitment to your child's enhanced experiences, whether they be additional staffing, enrichments (science, technology, arts, library books), or fun experiences such as Science Fair.
Join The Mary Rieke PTA
Although membership is not required to attend PTA events, it is required to be counted as a vote on important school decisions and board members. If you wish to join, you can do so electronically via the Oregon PTA site which accepts credit cards (sorry, will only accept one member at a time) - just select "Mary Rieke PTA" when prompted.
10 Reasons to Join PTA
1. It’s good for your child. Research shows that children whose parents are involved in their school make better grades and have fewer disciplinary problems at school. When parents get plugged in at school, their children do better.
2. It’s important to the school. PTA provides support to teachers and administrators, and creates a caring and supportive atmosphere in the school. With all of the budget cuts, schools are becoming more dependent on parent groups.
3. You’ll get connected. There is no better way to know what’s going on at the school than to be in the school’s PTA. You’ll be the first to hear about important decisions and changes the school in thinking about making and you will get to know the teachers and administrators on a familiar basis.
4. You’ll be part of a network. Every PTA function is an opportunity to meet other parents in the same situation as you. You will be connected with a group of parents who share a common goal of improving the school for all of the children.
5. You’ll make a difference. By volunteering with PTA, you’ll be able to use your skill for a noble cause-to help create the best educational environment possible for our children.
6. You’ll be there. During the middle school years, most children have the growing desire to be independent. They may pull away, but being in PTA keeps you involved in their lives without feeling like you are intruding.
7. You’ll be a role model. You’ll show your children that not only they are important to you, but their education is as well. They’ll see you taking a stand to make education better for them, and chances are they’ll do the same.
8. You’ll help raise necessary funds. The PTA raises funds to provide more educational services for children. Fundraisers remain important to improving the quality of the school overall, and parent groups make them possible.
9. It’s flexible. The PTA has progressed to meet the changing needs of parents. There are a variety of small ways parents can help and be involved in PTA depending on your availability.
10. It’s for every parent. Your voice and opinion matters! It makes a difference when you speak up. Your voice and ideas can help improve the quality of education for your children and their peers.
The more time you take out of your busy day to become involved with your child’s education, the better. Being an involved parent can be as simple as helping your child with homework or even reading together. You don’t have to make PTA a full-time job to make a difference. However, volunteering occasionally and attending school events really matters. Showing your children you value education will teach them to value it as well.